Saturday, July 14, 2012

MTC Day 1


July 11, 2012
Dear Family:
            Well, I made it safely!  I’m doing fine and everything is going great.  It was find of rushed and overwhelming at first, but I settled in and now I feel like I am getting the hang of things.  It was kind of funny though, as soon as I got to my room, I was basically rushed over to another building and thrown into a Spanish class!  It was a little frightening at first because all the teacher speaks in is Spanish, but I felt like I could pick up bits and pieces of it, so I’m not too worried about it!
            I met my companions today.  My companion’s name is Elder Ashcroft, and he is from Colorado.  The other two in my room are named Elder Cone from West Jordan, and Elder Lundberg from Box Elder.  They are all pretty cool, but I feel like I got lucky with Elder Ashcroft.  He’s really friendly, easy to be with, and get this, likes baseball!  So I think we will get along great!
            So after class, we went to the MTC Presidency Welcome, so basically a welcome for all the new missionaries today, which were 414 of us, I believe.  So they talked to us and we went to dinner, which was as good as they say!  I feel like I’m going to gain some pounds here…  But after that we went and finally got to unpack our stuff and get settled.
            Now the best part of the day.  We went for a teaching experience, so it was pretty vague about what we were going to do.  But about 40 of us new Elders and Sisters sat down in a room facing what looks like a typical investigator’s room: a couch and two chairs.  And then a person came out and said that we would be witnessing a real investigation going on.  So out comes a woman, and guess where she is from? Guatemala, of course!  So we had two Elders start it off and introduce her to missionaries, but then they turned it over to all of us and let us ask questions to a real investigator.  It was an amazing experience!  We did it three times, with the Sister from Guatemala, a Brother from Japan, and another Brother from Italy!  The one that stood out to me was the Italian.  His name was Carlo and he was a Catholic.  The biggest thing for him was that he had a son who only lived 3 days, and he had felt a regret that he didn’t baptize him before he died.  But when we shared with him that all before the age of accountability went to live with God he was so thankful and full of emotion.   The Spirit was so strong, and I realized that this is what I am going to be doing for the next two years!  I can’t wait to share what I felt today with everyone in Guatemala.
            After that, we came up and got ready for lights out, so now I’m writing this!  So just letting you all know that I’m safe and happy with what I am going to be doing.  My P-Day is on Monday, so expect everything then, this is just a first day letter, so expect more on Mondays! 
            Well, I hope you are all doing fine.  I’m having a blast, but still missing you guys!  I love you all and hope you all take care! 
Love Always,
Elder Jonathan Stuart
PS:  All of my companions are going to Quetzaltenango except for Elder Ashcroft.  He is going to Guatemala City North.

No comments:

Post a Comment