Monday, July 23, 2012

Travel Plans and Learning!

Monday, July 23, 2012


Hello Family!  Things are going great here at the MTC!  I hope that things are going as good for you guys as they are for me!  I really do love it here, I am learning a lot and am feeling the Spirit so much, I couldn´t be more thankful for the opportunity to be here. 
On Tuesday we had our first Devotional, and Vaughn J. Featherstone was our speaker.  He talked a lot about how much work you need to put into a mission, and if you do that, how many blessings will come out of it.  He quoted Thomas S. Monson “Work will win when wishy washy wishing won´t.”  That really is an important sentence for all of us missionaries here, because we need to put our faith in the Lord and work as hard as we can.  Another thing he said was ¨Make no small plans, they have no magic to stir men´s souls¨.  He really focused on how much work is important while you are here, and I really believe it.  Just like Dad said, it is going to be two years no matter what, so why not work your butt off and do the best that you can! 
On Wednesday, we got our travel plans and tickets to head off to Guatemala!  On August 1, we need to wake up at 5:00 in the morning to catch our flight.  We are headed to Dallas for a three-hour layover, and then headed down to Guatemala City!  I am so excited you wouldn't even believe it!  It is going to be way different there, but I believe that I will have the best experience there, and that I will learn so much there, especially Spanish!  So while I have three hours for a layover in Dallas, I'll be sure to call you guys!  It is going to be around noon on the 1st, so be ready for that!
Our lessons with Veronica ended this week with us inviting her to be Baptized!  It is amazing how far we have come in just a week and a half!  So once me and Elder Ashcroft invited her to be baptized, she accepted and we basically completed our first investigator.  On Friday, the lady who "played" Veronica, Sister Stagg, is now our teacher!  So we were just being taught by Brother Robinson, but now they are going to tag team and help us!  Starting this week though, we have to teach them both, Veronica again and then a man named Tati played by Brother Robinson.  I am actually looking forward to it, because it will give me another chance to start again with new investigators, so I can use all that I have learned for these lessons. 
Yesterday (Sunday) was such an amazing day!  I really look forward to Sundays here, because it is the best day for all of us missionaries to feel the Spirit and to learn from it.  Sacrament meeting was especially good.  Our branch president, President Stone, told us a story about when he went to Uruguay on his mission.  He baptized this lady just before he got transferred, so he didn't really hear much from her again.  But around 30-40 years later, when he was serving as a bishop, he received a call.  It was from this lady that he had baptized!  She was inviting him to attend her son's wedding sealing ceremony at the Mt. Timp temple.  So of course he went.  But what he didn't know is that both her son and his fiancé were deaf, so the ceremony was in sign!  He said how touching of an experience that was for him, and it was all because he had served a mission and baptized this investigator.  That really inspired me to be the very best missionary that I can, so that someday I might be able to feel those feelings that President Stone had felt.  It is amazing how the Spirit can touch our lives and make us want to do so much more with the time that we have!
After Sacrament Meetings, missionaries have the chance to do a "Temple Walk," which basically consists of us walking around the temple and seeing the sights of the outside world (weird how I refer to it as the outside world now.)  Since our district is really close, we had so much fun going to the temple, taking a whole bunch of pictures, being goofy around each other, and feeling the spirit of the Lord on his temple grounds.  By the way, I am sending one of the SD cards for the camera in a letter for you guys, so if you want to wait to post this on my blog until you get the pictures, you can do that, just a thought!  But anyways, I couldn't have asked for a better district to be put in, it really has made me come more in tune with the spirit because when all of us in the district are focusing on feeling the spirit, you can't help but to feel it and be so happy!
So now it is today, my P-Day.  To bring out my nerd side, I was wearing my "World History in Four Kirby's" shirt, and while I was standing in line for breakfast, some Elder from another zone commented on it, and he showed it to pretty much his whole district.  Never would have guessed that by wearing a nerdy Kirby shirt would have made me feel popular, but I guess that is what the MTC does to you!
I can't wait to hear about how this week has been for all of you!  I know that you Mom went to Girl's camp, and that Jeffrey and Ryan went to Wind Rivers!  I want to hear how that went!  Also Batman.  I want to hear how that was because I'm guessing that you have all seen it by now!  And most important, it is Staci's due date today!  I can’t wait to hear all about Jace very soon!  I am praying for Staci and hope that everything will go perfectly!  I want to have some pictures of him for sure though!  I have received all the packages that you guys have sent me by the way.  At least I think so! 
Well I only have one more week here before I am headed off to the Guatemala MTC, and I couldn't have asked for a better experience here to start my missionary journey!  I can't wait to teach all the people that I can in Guatemala the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I know that I am doing the right thing here, and I can't wait to have more experiences like the ones I am having now!
I love you all!
Elder Jonathan Stuart

No comments:

Post a Comment